Thursday, April 26, 2012
Blog #4: Cartography
I don't understand anything about the first article. The second reading was confusing also, but much less than the first. What I gathered from the second reading was that people described as having "power-over" characteristics have tried to hide certain communities and cultures by not officially mapping them for others to see. This has, in turn, significantly diminished the lifestyle of those overlooked and is a problem that needs to be fixed. Though I was initially surprised that this type of activity (of not officially including some areas in a map) occurred at all, I'm now pondering when else and under what circumstances this has happened in other countries. It's a disheartening thing to read about, and I would be horrified if something like this were happening in the United States (or any other powerful First World country with a notable reputation). I would be open to learning more about this topic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment