Friday, June 1, 2012

Manifesto

20 Statements
  1. My goal for this project is understanding.
  2. I want to understand the story of the neighborhoods surrounding Drexel.
  3. Drexel University is the school I chose to go to.
  4. I chose to go here because of its place in West Philadelphia.
  5. West Philadelphia is dangerous, but lively and full of energy.
  6. This energy isn't just from Drexel, but from all of our neighbors.
  7. Our neighbors are what make us unique, but being unique can cause challenges.
  8. Our challenge is to reintegrate ourselves into our geographic community.
  9. Our geographic community is Belmont, Lancaster, Mantua, and Powelton.
  10. In order to reintegrate ourselves into our geographic community, we must first understand our human community.
  11. Our human community is the diversity of people living in our geographic community.
  12. Our communities don't always have a consensus.
  13. So what we need to do is understand the programs and activities that work and the ones that don't.
  14. Of the ones that work, let's continue them.
  15. By offering to continue them, we build relationships.
  16. By building relationships, we grow to understand the history of the neighborhoods around us.
  17. By understanding, we become better able to continue supporting our neighbors.
  18. We can best support our neighbors by learning from the social history.
  19. The social history will show us which events will have a long-lasting life and positive effect.
  20. I want to map those events.

No comments:

Post a Comment